- Most frequently used semen sample in India
- Practically it has replaced fresh insemination
- Use of fresh semen is legally ban in most of the country
- Even in India use of fresh semen will be legally banned once ART act will come in force.
Basic Frozen Semen Sample are
- IUI ready, no pre-insemination processing is required
- Properly quarantined
- Doesn’t contain Egg yolk, milk sucrose of any crude protein
Sperm donors with a basic profile are registered under a unique number like 1/422, 1/315 etc. Basic profiles provide information on eye color, hair color, height, weight, blood group etc.
Donors are selected and screened in accordance with applicable national and WHO rules as well as the internal policies applicable to Frozen Cell.
The selection criteria includes a wide range in terms of age, education, IQ, risk factors, medical history, family history etc. Furthermore candidates with family history of hereditary disease are rejected.
In addition , a thorough medical examination is carried on, blood and urine samples are tested. Finally the donors are being approved by a doctor after conducting an overall assessment prior to final approval of donor.
Each donor candidate is tested for the following hereditary and infectious diseases. Donors will be tested for infectious diseases on an ongoing basis for the full duration of the donation process.
|Infectious Diseases||Hereditary Diseases|
|HIV – 1 and 2||Thalassaemia|
|Hepatitis B||Sickle cell anaemia|
OTHER TEST — Complete blood count, R/E of Urine, Blood sugar, Blood urea, SGPT, serum billirubin.
EACH CRYOVIAL CONTAIN
- 18 to 22 million motile sperm
- Motility % ….. 30 to 50%
- Volume ……. 0.5 ml.
- Stored and shipped in Liquid nitrogen
- 100 % leak proof Cryovial with double wall and silicon press cap
Motility Demonstration // Thawing
- Set the temperature of incubator at 32 to 34 Degree C (Not at 37 Degree C).
- Allow the incubator to maintain the temperature ( It may take 30 to 40 minutes)
- Take out the Frozen Semen Sample from liquid nitrogen , wipe it dry with tissue paper .
- Keep the Frozen Semen Sample along with slide, cover slip, pasture pipette, sterilize micro tip, IUI catheter, etc in pre-warmed incubator.
- Clean the microscope with tissue paper & alcohol
- After 45 minutes take out the Frozen Semen Sample from the incubator, remove cap & mix the content gently with a pasture pipette
- Take a drop ( 20 micro liter with the help of micro pipette ) of Frozen Semen Sample on warmed slide, & place the cover slip
- Keep the slide in pre-warmed Incubator for 5 minutes.
- Examine under microscope for motility and count.
(Thawing in open air or closed fist or in a test tube warmer or stage warmer is not advisable or recommended any where)
To get the best result of thawing use digital Incubator with air circulation fan or water bath