OPTIMUM TEMPERATURE FOR SPERM PROCESSING
Usually all sperm processing is being performed at 37 degree Celsius or body temperature.
But why ———-
- Because it is written in literature ?
- Because every one is doing it ?
- Or because it is the normal human body temperature ?
Some physiology ——
- The Testes / Scrotum is located specifically outside the body, because spermatogenesis require a lower temperature to produce sperms. That is 2° to 8 °C lower than normal body temperature of 37 °C
- The total process of spermatogenesis (development, maturation and storage) takes 3 months, including transport to ductal system at a temperature of 32° to 35 °C
While processing the sperm ——
- If temperature goes upto 40° C the sperms will start to die and at the temperature of 42° C — all sperms will be dead.
- In developing country routine validation of lab equipments are not being done on time, therefore processing temperature is not very precise.
- Even in developed country man made & machine made mistakes are not very rare.
Our Lab Experience —–
Our lab is performing approx 1500 sperm processing per month. We noticed that result of sperm processing at a temperature of 32° to 34 °C was much better in comparison to 37 °C.
Even the post thaw recovery was better when all processing prior to cryopreservation performed at a temperature of 32° to 34 °C.
Considering the facts of spermatogenesis , lab condition and our lab experience, we can conclude that sperm processing will certainly give a better result at a temperature of 32° to 34 °C